Just days after the Pittsburgh Steelers saw wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery leave to take over as offensive coordinator at Duke University, head coach Mike Tomlin wasted little time to fill the vacancy. Wednesday, Tomlin chose long-time NFL assistant and Aliquippa native Richard Mann to join his staff.wide receivers coach with six stints as a wide receivers coach, with his first stint as a WR coach being in 1982. During that time, has been an assistant with the Baltimore Colts, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns, Kansas City Chiefs, Baltimore Ravens and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He has been out of the NFL since departing his last position as wide receivers / assistant head coach for the Buccaneers after the 2009 season. Tomlin does have some familiarity with the 65-year old coach, spending time on the staff of the Buccaneers together from 2002 to 2005. In all, Mann spent seven years with the Bucs.
Like new offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr., Mann will also be charged with developing the talent in a young group of offensive players. In fact, he may have a more daunting task, as the Steelers will likely have some new faces in the receiving corps in 2013. Over the past few weeks, Steelers101 has documented the wide receiver position as we feel that it is the area that the team will attack early in the NFL Draft after they see the void left by the departure of Mike Wallace.
At this point, we are going to stick with our projection of West Virginia wide receiver Tavon Austin in the first round. The Steelers need to hit a home run and draft a game changer with their selection, and Austin may be the most explosive player in the draft.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Pittsburgh Steelers Wide Receivers Coach Scottie Montgomery Departs for a Position with the Duke Blue Devils
- Arizona Cardinals Reportedly Hire Pittsburgh Steelers Special Teams Coach Amos Jones
- Pittsburgh Steelers Hire Jack Bicknell, Jr. as Offensive Line Coach
- Piitsburgh Steelers Wide Receivers Should Have an Advantage Against the Washington Redskins Secondary
- Pittsburgh Steelers Reportedly Hire Danny Smith as Special Teams Coordinator
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/q0m