The Pittsburgh Steelers have filled one of the vacancies on their coaching staff Tuesday with the hiring of Jack Bicknell, Jr. to be their offensive line coach. Bicknell, who spent 2012 with the Kansas City Chiefs and 2009-2011 with the New York Giants, will be charged with continuing the development of the Steelers young offensive line.Sean Kugler, who left to become head coach at the University of Texas at El Paso following the 2012 season.
The Steelers needed a solid hire for this position as they have a tremendous amount of young talent along their offensive line including first round selections Maurkice Pouncey and David DeCastro, and second round selections Mike Adams and Marcus Gilbert. In 2012, the offensive line suffered through massive injuries, and yet they still improved from previous seasons.
At this point, it appears that Bicknells’ biggest challenge will be on the left side of the offensive line where 2012 starters Max Starks and Willie Colon are unlikely to return and starting right guard Ramon Foster may depart as well. If those players depart, the team will likely slide 2012 seventh round pick Kelvin Beachum into the left guard position next to Gilbert at left tackle.
As we reported yesterday, the Steelers are scheduled to interview Danny Smith for their special teams coordinator position.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Help with the Hurricane Sandy relief effort. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to go towards the Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Why is It All Quiet on the Search for the New Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Line Coach?
- Arizona Cardinals Reportedly Hire Pittsburgh Steelers Special Teams Coach Amos Jones
- Pittsburgh Steelers Offensive Line Leading Resurgent Rushing Attack
- Could the Pittsburgh Steelers Continue to Build Their Offensive Line Early in the NFL Draft?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/pee