It is clear that the Rashard Mendenhall era with the Pittsburgh Steelers has likely come to an end. Yes, there are four games remaining in 2012, but unless there is a severe injury; it is now even more unlikely for Mendenhall to see the field.suspended the former first-round selection one-game for conduct detrimental to the team after Mendenhall skipped Sunday’s match-up with the San Diego Chargers after he was told he would be inactive for a second consecutive week. Going into that game, Mendenhall had fallen out of favor after a two-fumble outing against the Cleveland Browns and was moved to third on the depth chart behind Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman.
To fill his roster spot, the Steelers signed Baron Batch from the practice squad and he may see action, at least on special teams against the Dallas Cowboys. At this point, there is no report on what the remainder of 2012 holds for Mendenhall, but being an unrestricted free agent after the season, it is clear that the polarizing running back will be testing the market.
In other news, offensive guard Willie Colon had knee surgery today and may miss the rest of 2012. With him on the shelf, there is a chance that rookie first round selection David DeCastro may work his way into the starting line up Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.
- Be sure to "like" Steelers 101 on Facebook and to follow Steelers 101 on Twitter
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Help with the Hurricane Sandy relief effort. Text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to go towards the Red Cross Disaster Relief.
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Pittsburgh Steelers Make Rashard Mendenhall, Ben Roethlisberger Inactive Against the Baltimore Ravens
- Rashard Mendenhall and Ike Taylor Headline Pittsburgh Steelers Inactives Against San Diego Chargers
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/nrs